To be honest, I have regretted making this decision of choosing the blogging industry as my first blogging niche, if I could start over again, it would probably be something more of my interests like personal development or psychology.
Seriously, there are way too many blogs about blogging than actually something worth reading, now I’m not saying there’s anything bad about choosing the blogging industry as your prime niche (topic).
But the fact is, 99% of the bloggers who blog about make money blogging never end up making money, it’s true.
Some give up partially, some change their niche and some even stop blogging.
It’s not that the blogging niche is a difficult topic to write on, or that it isn’t interesting enough, it’s just hard to get the results you want. (that could be anything like living in a mansion)
There are of course, downsides and upsides of blogging about blogging, this is what I’ve come up with:
- There are many friendly fellow bloggers who are doing the same
- Never get lost, just ask another blogger for help
- You are smarter than bloggers who blog about something else
- You have a nice and loyal fanbase of subscribers
- You can pretty much write things that you don’t even have experience in like “ways to monetize a blog” or “how to make money online”
- There is a huge crowd of competitors
- You need to write extremely good unique content to stand out from the crowd
- You need work yourself to death and be creative at writing
- You will see very little results in the early stages
- There are not a lot of choices of monetization sources
- It’s useless in the real world, your friends and family won’t give a damn.
- You feel the need to constantly update your blog or your subscribers will leave
And there’s much more on both sides, the list could go on for a quiet long amount of time, it’s just if you have to actually spend time thinking about it, it means those are not really important, these points are what came up to my mind immediately.
I know peole who have read this will be turned down and motivated to change their niche (if they were blogging about blogging), but that’s partly my purpose.
Well, to those whom are concerned, don’t join the blogging niche unless you have actually made a living online from blogging (3-8 bucks a month doesn’t count).
If we are writing about blogging, if it’s so good and profitable as we say it, why haven’t we made money yet?
The truth is, we publish a post today, and another the next time, you receive comments, you reply to them, check out your fellows’ latest posts and give them a comment. You share new ideas and conversations. Blah blah blah…Rinse and Repeat.
You will never end up getting the optimal results you want to achieve.
As time pass by, we still work on our 9-5 day job, we still go to school (for my case), we still make our real income from the real world.
To make money online you need a lot of time.
Many people will disagree with me but this is a question for your own good, it’s for yourself to answer: Should you really be blogging about blogging?
I don’t think so.
I don’t believe that is your only expertise in this world, we aren’t born with skills, we learn everything, go ahead and learn something that you have honest passion in or knowledge/ experience in and make that your blogging topic.
As for me, I have already decided to start writing in another niche, of course, that means I will have real experience that one can’t learn from reading others’ work. (don’t worry I still write for you guys my Blog Lectures fans)
The moral of the story is, it’s not a story, you need to literally think about what you are doing, are you sure blogging is going to be your blog niche? If so, I can’t stop you.
There’s always time if you want to change your mind, go ahead and start another blog, don’t abandon your existing one if you have one, just keep blogging.
What do you think? Should you really be blogging about blogging? Or will you? Were you?